WHAT WE DO MATTERS:
Here at The Knot Worldwide, we believe in doing work that matters. In 15 countries around the world, our leading family of brands (The Knot, WeddingWire, Bodas, GigMasters, The Bump, How They Asked, Lasting, and more) inspire, inform, and celebrate our communities as they move through life’s milestones. From the proposal to creating a home, and starting a family together, we’re there for every step of the journey. Our couples and business partners depend on us. They're all in. So are we.
ABOUT THE ROLE AND OUR TEAM:
The Knot Worldwide, a global and fast-growing technology company with a professional staff and a smart and fun culture, is looking for a Senior Counsel in its Chevy Chase, MD office who has corporate transactional and corporate governance experience and is eager to work in all areas of in-house practice. (Law firm experience is required; in-house experience is a plus.)
You would join two attorneys and one paralegal in our Chevy Chase office and also work with our senior attorneys in New York and Barcelona. This person will be heavily involved with commercial contracts, corporate transactions, and corporate governance, but also work with the company’s business units, including Finance, HR, Marketing, Sales, Corporate Development, and Technology. The ideal candidate will have an interest in technology companies and think like a businessperson with legal skills.
The right candidate thrives in a collaborative environment and will enjoy frequent interaction with people across all areas of the company. This is a great opportunity for an attorney to grow professionally and build a broad set of in-house skills at a company that is going places.
- Negotiate client, vendor, partner, and technology agreements.
- Provide advice to the General Counsel, senior lawyers, and business units in the areas of corporate, contract, insurance, international, employment, advertising, and privacy law.
- Work with senior lawyers, and the Corporate Development, Finance and HR Departments, and outside counsel to support corporate transactions.
- Assist with corporate governance efforts, including Board documents and stock option administration. Work closely with the Finance team on regulatory issues.
- Help the company prepare for future growth.
SUCCESSFUL SENIOR COUNSEL CANDIDATES HAVE:
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school.
- A minimum of 3 years experience with a top tier law-firm in the areas of corporate governance, mergers & acquisitions, and/or corporate finance.
- Experience with corporate transactions. Should be able to help conduct diligence, negotiate agreements, and close and integrate acquisitions.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Works well with others in a team environment.
- To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and should not require now, or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.
- Admitted to practice law, or be able to qualify as registered in-house counsel, in the State of Maryland.
- Foreign language skills (not required)
- Experience negotiating commercial contracts (not required).
- Experience with fast-growth, venture or private equity backed companies (not required).
- Experience with international acquisitions (not required).
- Experience with data privacy issues (not required).
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT YOU:
- You deeply understand our users and put them at the center of everything you do. You aim to serve and delight them every day.
- You are respectful and act with the highest integrity. If you see something that isn’t right, you say something.
- You ask questions to understand a perspective and are comfortable respectfully challenging assumptions. You are not turned off by constructive conflict to get to the right answer.
- You set clear ambitious goals. You anticipate obstacles, persevere, and are accountable for your commitments.
- You aren’t afraid to challenge the status quo and know that there’s no such thing as failure if you learn from it.
- You seek out feedback and never settle in your quest to grow and develop. By being here, you make our company stronger.
WHAT YOU LOVE ABOUT US:
The Knot Worldwide offers a unique employee experience and we are deeply proud of our award-winning culture. From flexible vacation and generous parental leave benefits to promoting wellness and giving back to our community, we believe in happiness above all else—in and out of the office.
The Knot Worldwide provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability. In addition to federal law requirements, The Knot Worldwide complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. The Knot Worldwide expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.