Effective: July 15, 2019
Collection and Use of Personal Information
Personal information is generally information that can reasonably be used to identify or contact you. When you use our Services, we may collect and store personal information about you to provide our Services to you and improve the Services we provide to all of our users. Below are some examples of personal information we collect and how we use it.
Information You Provide Directly
- In some instances, we offer referral features that allow you to easily connect your profiles with those of your friends and family via email. You can also send your friends and family emails or other messages using our Services. If you choose to use either feature, we may use your email address to copy you on the message or to send on the email your behalf, and you hereby grant permission for such use.
- Customer Services. When you contact us through any of our customer support channels, including email, web portals, and telephone support numbers, we collect personal information to track and respond to your inquiry and analyze and improve our Services.
- Payment Information. If you choose to purchase any goods, services, or premium functionality through our Services, you may need to provide your payment information and other personal information, such as your name, address, email address, and telephone number.
- Communications to Vendors. We may collect personal information when a Member contacts a Vendor through private messaging on our Services. For security purposes, Users should not include any password, social security number, payment card or other sensitive information via this Service. We reserve the right to monitor messaging between Members and Vendors to improve our Services. If you use the call feature to call a third party through the Service, we may collect information such as the number the call came from, the number dialed, the date and time of the call and its duration, and your location as determined by your area code or as otherwise permitted.
- Third Party Service (e.g. Social Media). If you use a third party site, such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, or Twitter, in connection with our Services to communicate with another person (e.g., to make or post referrals or to request that we communicate with another person), then in addition to that person's name and contact information, we may also collect other information (e.g., your profile picture, network, gender, username, user ID, age range, language, country, friends lists or followers) depending on your privacy settings on the third-party site as permitted by such sites. We do not control the third-party site's information practices, so please review the third party’s privacy policies and your settings on the third party’s site carefully.
Information Collected from Third Parties
We may supplement personal information you provide us with additional information obtained from publicly available sources, or from the Company, our affiliates and third parties with which we transact business.
Information Collected During Use of Services
- Location. We may collect your location when you use our Services (including calendars, our mobile apps, or content-uploading features) in accordance with app and device requirements. We may use various technologies to determine location, such as location services of your operating system or browser and sensor data from your computer or device that may, for example, provide information on nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers. In addition, you may submit a photo or other materials that contain geographic information in its metadata. If you do not want to share such location data, please disable such collection in your account settings and preferences. You may be permitted to opt out of the collection of your location information in your app, mobile device, hardware or browser settings. For some of our Services, we may not be able to provide you with access to certain features or functionality if you choose not to provide your location information.
- App, Browsers and Device Information. As is the case with many websites, our Services automatically collect information when you visit them, including but not limited to browser characteristics, operating system, settings, ISP, domain name, IP address, type of computer or mobile device, mobile carrier, connection information, and unique device identifier.
- Your Activity. We may collect information about how you use our Services, such as the types of content you view or engage with; the features you use; the actions you take; the people or accounts you interact with; and the time, frequency and duration of your activities. For example, we may log when you are using and have last used our Services, and what pages and other content you view on our Services. We use this information for a variety of purposes, including to tailor the Services to your preferences and otherwise improve your experience, to operate and administer the Services, to conduct research and analytics, to assess your interest in the Services, to deliver advertisements that may interest you, and to keep the Services secure. We may deploy various tracking technologies to collect this information. Examples of the types of tracking technologies deployed on the Services include the following:
- “Local shared objects,” or “flash cookies,” may be stored on your computer or device using a media player or other software installed on your computer or device. Local shared objects operate much like cookies, but cannot be managed in the same way. Depending on how local shared objects are enabled on your computer or device, you may be able to manage them using software settings. For information on managing flash cookies, for example, click here.
- A “pixel tag” (also known as a “clear GIF” or “web beacon”) is a tiny image – typically just one-pixel – that can be placed on a web page or in our electronic communications to you in order to help us measure the effectiveness of our content by, for example, counting the number of individuals who visit us online or verifying whether you’ve opened one of our emails or seen one of our web pages.
- “HTML5” (the language some websites, such as mobile websites, are coded in) may be used to store information on your computer or device about your usage of the Services so that we may improve and customize them for you.
Our Services include the above tracking technologies and others, operated by both us and third parties.
Do Not Track
Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, include the ability to transmit "Do Not Track" or "DNT" signals. Since uniform standards for "DNT" signals have not been adopted, our Services do not currently process or respond to "DNT" signals.
How We Use Your Personal Information
- Administer Our Site and Services. We use your personal information to operate our Services and conduct and fulfill the transactions that you request. For example, we use your information to display and customize the Services, provide the community features, provide the vendor catalog and reviews systems, administer contests and sweepstakes, and operate our e-commerce store.
- Provide Customer Support. When you contact customer support, we may use or request personal information as necessary to answer your questions, resolve disputes, or investigate complaints. In some instances, we may be required to process one customer’s personal information to resolve another customer’s dispute or request. For example, if a customer reports behavior that violates our Terms of Service, we will separately process both customers’ personal information and respond separately to each individual as appropriate.
- Ensure the Security of Our Services. To ensure your continued enjoyment of our Services, we may process your personal information to help monitor, prevent and detect fraud, enhance security, monitor and verify identity or access, and combat spam or other malware or security risks; improve and enforce our security measures; and to monitor the security of our Services.
- Send Transactional Communications. We may process your personal information to send you transactional communications. This may include contacting you via email, telephone, push or in-app notifications or text-based messaging to inform you about updates to our Services, information about your account, or information about ecommerce transactions that you conduct on the Services. This includes customer support communications to respond to your questions, concerns, feedback, disputes or issues. Transactional communications are not promotional in nature. You may be able to modify your contact preferences, but you will not be able to unsubscribe from all such communications; otherwise, you might miss important information about your account, the Services, or transactions you engage in on the Site.
- Post Testimonials. We may use personal information to post testimonials on our website.
- Conferences and Events. Together with our affiliates and event and marketing businesses and other third parties with whom we conduct business (collectively, “Service Parties”), we may use your personal information to communicate with you about our events or our Service Party events. We may contact you about the event and related products and services, and may share information about your attendance with our affiliates and Service Parties, where legally permitted to do so. If a conference sponsor or other Service Party directly requests your personal information at their conference booths or presentations, your personal information will be handled in accordance with their privacy practices. We recommend that you review the privacy practices of such sponsors and other Service Parties.
- Conduct Analytics, Research and Development. We may also use personal information for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve our Services and customer communications, as well as to develop new products and offerings.
- Send Ads and Other Sponsored Content. We may use personal information we obtain from you, your interactions with our Services, and from third party sources to provide you with marketing and promotional communications, to deliver targeted and relevant advertising and marketing to you, to determine the effectiveness of our marketing and promotional campaigns, to better understand you and your preferences, and to position and promote our Services. To unsubscribe from such emails, click the email footer “unsubscribe” link. Our marketing will be conducted in accordance with your marketing preferences and as permitted by applicable law.
- Other Purposes Described at the Time of Information Collection, Use, or Sharing. We may in some circumstances notify you or seek your consent to use your personal information in other ways, as described just before collection, usage, or sharing of your personal information. These notices may be specific to certain parts of our Services.
Information Shared with Third Parties
We may share your personal information with third parties to provide or improve our Services, or to assist us in advising you of other products or services that may be of interest to you. When we share your personal information with third parties, we require those third parties to handle and protect it in accordance with relevant laws and such third parties’ published privacy policies.
- Our Service Providers. We may share information with service providers and contractors who work on our behalf for any of the stated uses of your information. Examples include vendors and service providers who provide assistance with marketing, billing, processing credit card payments, security, data analysis and insight, technical support and customer service.
- For Fraud and Legal Reasons. We may disclose your personal Information when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or property; to protect the safety of you or others; investigate fraud; to comply with the relevant laws; or to respond to a government, judicial or other legal request, such as law enforcement instructions, official investigations, court orders, subpoenas, or warrants.
- Business Transfers. We may disclose personal information in connection with a corporate transaction, change or dissolution, including for example a merger, investment, acquisition, reorganization, consolidation, bankruptcy, liquidation, sale of assets or wind-down of a business. Such disclosure may include, without limitation, transfer of personal information to a purchaser of all or substantially all of the ownership interests or assets of the Company or its affiliates, a successor by merger, or an existing or new corporate affiliate.
- Other Individuals and Services at Your Request. We will share your information with other individuals and services at your request. For example, if you participate in our registry program, then we share your personal information with your friends, families, and other contacts as well as the registry program participants. In some instances, you can choose to make your online registries available to guests and friends via a password. If you do not elect this option, then anyone visiting will be able to search for and view your registry by using your first and/or last name and other information regarding your event.
- Our Corporate Affiliates. We have or may have parents, subsidiaries, joint ventures or other affiliated companies (collectively, “Affiliate Companies”). We may share some or all of your personal information with Affiliate Companies for multiple reasons, including, without limitation, to help us provide our Services or for the Affiliate Companies own business or marketing purposes.
- Third Party Partners to Provide Co-Branded Products and Services. In some cases, we may share personal information with third party partners to provide co-branded products or services, including contests, sweepstakes, and joint activities. For example, if you choose to interact with such co-branded products or services using your account information with us, we may share your account information with third parties as required to provide the co-branded product or service that you request.
- Third Party Partners for Marketing Purposes. We may share your information with partners whose offerings we think may interest you. For example, if you participate in the registry program, we share information including, without limitation, your first name, first initial of your last name, wedding location and theme and color preferences, with our affiliates and other third parties (organizations that have offerings we think may interest you, registry program participants, retailers, other program participants, and other third-parties) for their marketing and other purposes.
Links to Other Websites
We save your personal information at least until your account membership with us is terminated and you unsubscribe to email notifications. You may continue to receive email communications for a short period of time until we have updated all of our databases. After termination of your membership, at our discretion, your personal information may remain on our archived database and records or it may be deleted. Notwithstanding the above, we may maintain information on users who have been removed for violating our Membership Agreement or as otherwise required pursuant to law, and we may maintain email addresses in our unsubscribe lists.
How We Protect Personal Information
We understand how important your privacy is to you, which is why we maintain (and require our service providers to maintain) appropriate physical, technical and administrative safeguards to protect the security and confidentiality of the personal information you entrust to us. Some of our Services use third-party payment processors to process payments pursuant to their privacy policies. Please note, however, that with current technology, the security of your personal information as it travels over the Internet or as it resides in any storage system cannot be guaranteed to be completely secure.
When you sign up for an account, you will establish a User ID and password. You are responsible for maintaining your password as confidential. You are responsible for any activity that occurs on your account as a result of you sharing your password with another or failing to protect it. We are not responsible for any loss or damage arising from your failure to maintain the confidentiality of your password.
If you correspond with us by email, text message or using web forms like a "contact us" feature on our Services, you should be aware that your transmission might not be secure from access by unauthorized parties. If you create an account with us, you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account password and for any activity that occurs under your account.
- Account Information Access and Deletion. In relation to some of our Services, you may be able to review, update or modify certain of the personal information that is stored in a user account set up with us by logging in to your account profile or by contacting us. We may ask you to verify your identity and to provide other details before we are able to provide you with any information, correct any inaccuracies, or delete any information. Your right to delete your information is subject to our records retention policies.
- Marketing Communications. If you do not want to be in our marketing email, you can opt-out at any time. You may unsubscribe to certain marketing communications received from us by editing your preferences in your account profile. For email messages, you may also opt-out by clicking the unsubscribe link in non-transactional emails.
- Sharing. If you create an account or provide personal information on our Services, depending on the account settings, you may have the opportunity to elect whether or not to share such information with third parties. You may also tell us that you do not want us to share certain personal information with third parties for their marketing purposes by changing your preferences in your account profile. To stop receiving promotional messages from third parties who already have your contact information, please contact them directly.
Children’s Personal Information
Our Services are designed and intended for use by adults. We do not intentionally gather Personal Information about persons who are under the age of 18. If you are under 18, please do not register on the Site, make purchases through the Site or send any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number or email address. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under 18, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
California Customer Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you have the right to request information from us regarding whether we share certain categories of your personal information with third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. California law provides that you may receive the following information: (a) the categories of information we disclosed to third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year; and (b) the names and addresses of third parties that received such information, or if the nature of their business cannot be determined from the name, then examples of the products or services marketed.
How to Contact Us